3/01/17 Consume or Serve?
“When Jesus died, He was thinking of everyone but Himself. It was the perfect act of selflessness and set the pattern for you to live. If you focus only on yourself and your needs, you have little or no time to think of the needs of others. Not only are you useless to My plans, but you become useless to those around you. Selfishness is murderous to any relationship. It hinders Me from pouring My wealth into you because you will misuse it. It eventually kills any hope of service to others. It also destroys the ability for those around you to see the heart of Jesus through how you act. Overcome selfishness through service. Serve as Jesus served. Come to Me to learn His heart and to gain Mine. Then walk in Our love toward others.”
Exodus 17:12 AMP
But Moses’ hands were heavy and grew weary. So [the other men] took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Then Aaron and Hur held up his hands, one on one side and one on the other side; so his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
Joshua 24:15 NIV
“But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV
5) Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
6) in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Luke 12:19-21 NIV
19) ‘And I’ll say to myself, “You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’
20) “But God said to him, ’You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?’
21) “This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God.”
Luke 23:34a NIV
Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”
The fastest way to stop someone from seeing the heart of Jesus in your actions is to think and act only for yourself. Walking past the needs of others is the opposite of the heart of Jesus. Going to Father God with a continual laundry list does not resemble nor define the kind of relationship for which Jesus died. Consuming what you have been given on yourself consumes wealth designed for Kingdom use.
Teach me Your ways, Lord,