11/17/16 Immovable Love
“When was the last time you stood in the gap for someone who could not stand for himself? How often have you been an advocate friend for another? My heart never sways from a total commitment to you. I ask you to do the same for each other. Commit to each other with unbridled love. Be immovable in your love for each other. Stand strong alongside weaker hearts. Love as Jesus does. Love as I do.”
Romans 15:1-7 NIV
1) We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
2) Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
3) For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: “The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.”
4) For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
5) May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus,
6) so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
7) Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God.
It is so easy to forget that real, passionate, immovable love is at the center of all that the Lord does. Dead religion practices rituals, builds programs, does good stuff; and tolerates those who are less than perfect. It judges, condemns, and separates from others at the drop of a hat.
The kind of love that inspired the violence of the cross, the passion of the resurrection, and the promise of the return of Jesus is a love that each of us is called to practice. It is a selfless love devoted to living for the best interests of others. That is not a suggestion for each of us to consider. It is a command to us if we say that we belong to God.
Teach me Your ways, Lord,